Sunday 14 September 2014

University, My Experience


Are you heading off to uni this year? If so congratulations, you're probably about to have the time of your life!
As recent graduate I am proud to say I made it through my university years. Personally, I found the whole experience very difficult and unfortunately I am not one of those people to rave about it, there were times where I didn't think I would make it to the end.
My first year was the worst.....



I studied Make Up and Hair Design. From the first few weeks I knew it wasn't really for me. To top things off I was living with people I couldn't stand. The noise and the dirt of halls was way too much for me. My bedroom was above the smoking area which meant constant noise all the time. I consider myself to be pretty sociable, but I do like to sleep, and with a lack of sleep I was just getting ill and more miserable. I did have friends, but I didn't live with them.  I dreaded returning to my own room each evening. A week before Christmas I decided I had had enough, the people I was living with reduced me to breaking point and I walked out. I continued going to my lessons but I went to live with my dad. After Christmas I was allocated a new room. It was a lot quieter, but the roommates where equally as unfriendly. They already had their little clique and they didn't seem interested in a new member. During the first year I had a boyfriend. He was from my hometown and he had gone away to a different university. He was having the time of his life and if anything I became incredibly jealous of him and hated the fact he was having fun and I wasn't. I felt like I hated all his friends and hated it when he went out with them and I was stuck in my tiny room by myself on the other side of the country.
I made it though. I passed my first year with a 2:1 and finally got to move into a house with people I liked.
First Year School Party 
My room in halls 

2nd year was so much easier. I had my freedom back. I had a house, a car and a job and my friends.
I enjoyed the year so much more. I had money which meant a better social life and more supplies for my uni work. For some reason I still hated uni. I wanted to earn more money and do more things with my life. I found uni frustrating for many reasons. It used to drive me mad that so many people never turned up to lessons and still got amazing marks, when I had worked so hard and got an average mark. The house I lived in was grotty and smelt funny, but at least I had a double bed. One thing I love about the student lifestyle is that I can lie in bed for as long as I want without being called lazy! I started to care less about my uni work as my interest disappeared. I still passed though, and still didn't give up!

My Room for 2nd and 3rd Year


Second Year Housemates
By 3rd year things were a lot different. I had parted ways with my boyfriend and had my heart set on travelling. I just wanted to get through university as quickly as possible and found a way to make the work more interesting. I focused my whole year on social media so I could incorporate my love for social media, blogging and writing. That was when Reckless Beauty was created. The workload was heavy and I hated it. I spent all my free time in bed watching American TV and scoffing Jaffa Cakes. After Christmas of my final year I was commuting to uni, I was fed up of my job in Southampton and just wanted to work at home and earn more money and with my timetable being one day a week (for over £3000, yes I know) I felt this was acceptable. I applied for Camp America and got accepted straight away. My mind was more focused on travelling than anything. Amazingly I graduated with a 2:1. Considering how much I hated uni, I was so happy I had made it with such an excellent result.

Unhealthy Addiction
3rd Year Housemates
Halloween 3rd Year

Don't let my story put you off. Most people love uni and have a completely different experience than me. I don't regret going to uni. It gave me so many great life skills. I became so much more confident and had many opportunities I wouldn't of had at home. I saw the world in a different light. I went from living in a small town in Somerset, to living in the city of Southampton, which was pretty dangerous. Despite meeting some of the worst people I have ever met in my life, I also met some of the best who I hope to keep in touch with for the rest of my life. Overall, university made me grow up and although I'm unsure how much use my degree is going to be in my life, I know I learnt some skills that will benefit me greatly.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post, I was exactly the same minus I lived at home, but I really didn't like my uni during my BA degree! I'm on a master now which is soooo much more rewarding and better. It's amazing how different peoples experiences are with uni! I'm sure your post is going to help people going through the same thing! x

    ReplyDelete